Sunday, August 5, 2007

Do vs Don't

I feel like I loose my patients too much, especially with my kids. It is hard with 4 little ones. I want to be a good mom, and want my kids to feel like I am there for them and they can talk to me about anything. They can't do that if I am always yelling at them...actually I don't always yell...I need to give myself a little credit. Anyways....

I decided to try this new approach, instead of telling them DON'T do this and DON'T do that I will tell them what i DO want them to do. For example I use to say "Don't run into the street." Their little brains can only handle so much...the last three words that they heard me say were "into the street." how confusing for a little kid. So I decided to say "Stay on the sidewalk." or "stay close to mommy." Now they know what they are supposed to do. Another example...we have a lot of hitting in our house right now, oh man it is so annoying. I used to say "Stop hitting your sister!" Now I say "Be nice and be soft" or something along those lines. It seems to be working because they know what I want them to do. I have to think really hard and make a conscience effort to do it. Every once in a while I will slip up and use the "Don't" word, but I am working on it, and it seems to be making a difference!

2 comments:

Gina said...

Good work, Jessica. I try my darndest to never say no, but to say "that's not nice" or "please be nice to..." because they want so badly to please us, but sometimes, you are right, their brains can only handle so much.

Daisy said...

You are so smart!! What a good idea. I think I'm going to try that too.

PS. I found Luke's pictures that I thought I left at your house so don't worry about that.