Saturday, August 9, 2008

Emerald Things

We all know what a hassle it is at night with the whole bedtime thing...right...right!! Well we have this wonderful routine and it seems to: number 1 take a long time, and number 2 take a long time BUT it does seem to work pretty good. For a while I would let Emerald stay up with me at night...well I will get to that in a minute. Here is our routine:
After dinner..bath for Tristyn and anyone else who needs one
get in pj's
brush teeth, feel rat and cat
go potty
I have the kids go in the room and look at books while I put Tristyn in bed (he is the most easy to put to sleep)
I come upstairs and we read one book
We read 3 scriptures..one per child (hey, at least we are reading!)
Then each kids gets to pick 2 songs to sing...so we sing
Open-shut them
Prayer
Bed
I go down and put Yzabelle in her bed... a twin mattress right next to my bed. I tuck her in and we talk for a minute or 2 about her day. Then hugs and kisses and she is fine to fall asleep by herself
Then I go upstairs and tuck Navek into bed same talking like Yzabelle

Emerald is the one that I have a hard time with...she is ALWAYS saying that she is scared...scared of what I have no freakin idea, but none the less she is scared. So a lot of the time she will stay up with me while I write in my journal or watch tv or whatever. She will fall asleep in my lap most of the time. I started to have a little treat for myself...Hagen Daaz peach or strawberry sorbet...oh baby it is soooo good. Well Emerald would have some with me, but she would call it "Peach things" or "Strawberry things" It is so dang cute when she says it. She would come up to me in the middle of getting everyone ready for bed with her bright blue eyes and say...
"mom can we snuggle and have some peach things?"
So this one time I was trying to encourage her by bribes...such good parenting!! And I motioned for her to come to me and I said "If you can get your pj's on and be nice until it's time to go to bed, we can snuggle and have some peach things!" But I told her not to tell anyone. She was so excited that she just had to tell someone..I mean come on she IS only 3. So she said "can I tell Navek" I said no, then she said "can I tell Yzabelle" I said no, the she said "Mom can I tell Tristyn..." I said okay, you can tell Tristyn... So she RAN over to Tristyn and bent down to him and said "Tristyn...mom said that I can snuggle with her and have some peach things!" She was so satisfied!! I think that Tristyn just ran away.

4 comments:

Gina said...

That is awesome! What a funny girl she is! Liam has been on the "scared" kick for months now. I am so tired of being up in the night with him like a newborn!

Daisy said...

Wow that does sound like it takes a long time, but hey whatever works. Emerald is too cute!! I love that she was satisfied in just telling Tristyn- haha!!

Our Blog said...

nighttime routines are great! so many simple things, yet it seems to take so long! we do scriptures too, prayer by beds, family prayers, hugs,...we need to start singing; that is so good! for some reason that escapes me most of the time!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it sounds kind of time consuming, but it seems to work! I really like that you let Navek and Yzzy talk about their days before you put them to bed. That's too cute, hahah.