Sunday, August 17, 2008

I can read!!!

Well of course I can read...but do I ever actually do it?? No! I do the norm like magazines, scriptures, newspapers etc...but I can't remember the last time I read an actual book. I guess I thought that I couldn't or something, that only smart people read How silly! I remember back in high school, my comprehension wasn't the greatest and I couldn't find anything that I really felt was interesting. I can think of a ton of books that I have started, but never finished!

Soooo my sister Daisy (who is ALWAYS reading!!) suggested, and has for some time now, the Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer. From what I have heard they are very popular and ton's of people have read them. I heard that it was a vampire story...which caught my attention being that I love Buffy and Angel...thanks to Andrew(also an avid reader)...anyway

I have been feeling like I can conquer the world lately. I am in a good place mentally right now. I am determined to make my life better. I am actually starting a new job in 2 weeks with the opportunity of lots of growth and the advantage of making a ton more money (this does relate to the book I promise) I have to do this and I am going to make it work. I am going to be successful, I just am!

So on the subject of conquering the world, the thought came into my mind to try and read a book. Well not to actually try, but to really do it. So I borrowed Twilight from this cute girl that I work with and started it Thursday...my day off. Well, come to find out...I LOVE IT! I can't put it down. I read like a maniac! Me...Jessica...I am actually reading! And it's fun! Who'd a thought! I only have a 100 pages left. So I will finish it tomorrow! I read a 500 page book in 5 days!! Yay me!! It's a really fast read which makes it easy!

The book is written if first person. So I find myself, in my mind talking in first person about how my life COULD be a book. (hey there is enough drama!) It's funny. Like tonight when I was rudely interrupted by my kids after I had been reading for like 2 hours...they were hungry. So I forced myself to come to a stopping point and feed them. But in my head I was like "Then I went to the kitchen and eagerly looked through the cupboards to find anything simple to feed my kids for dinner. Anything to get back to Edward and Bella!" I would talk myself through the rest of the night. "The minutes seemed like hours as I sat in agony watching the Olympics with the kids as I waited for them to get sleepy so I could put them to bed!" Then of course there is Edward, the perfect "guy" so graceful, handsome, witty, poised and just...aaahhhhh!!! It's fun, I haven't gotten into something like this....in forever. I was a little impatient at first when reading because I wanted to know what was going to happen right then! Then I had to remind myself that this isn't a movie that I am reading...it's better. We get the insight and the feeling of the characters. So then I slowed it down a little and really just enjoyed it.

Oh by the way I conducted the rest hymn today in Sacrament...like I told you a couple of weeks ago. Well, I wasn't as nervous as I thought I was going to be. I played it cool! It went really well. It sounded great and I had a lot of support from the sisters in the ward who came up to sing! It was actually not that bad, I kinda enjoyed it!!

I am just proud of myself for reading. It seems like a small accomplishment to some but a big one to me! This just goes to show that if I put my mind to it, I can really do it!! Yeah me!!

4 comments:

Brea Marie said...

I love Twilight too! It's crazy how sucked in you get. I haven't started the 3rd book because I know I won't be able to stop reading and my house suffers from it. Poor kiddies got to eat, right? Glad you like the book too! So where's the new job at?

Daisy said...

You are hilarious Jessica!! I love that you are getting into it! I am just as excited about it as you are, though, I don't know if I go around narrating my life... too funny!! I can't wait until you're done!!

Our Blog said...

Reading is the best. Last spring I got on "Goodreads" and started reading for pleasure again for the 1st time in 10 years. I forgot how much I LOVE to read! I have heard a lot about Stephanie Myers books, but not read any yet. I would recommend "Princess Academy" and "The Goose Girl" by Shanon Hale, AFTER you finish Stephanies books of course! They are fabulous, engaging, and although for pure pleasure, you walk away with a wholesome uplift that has last me months now!

Anonymous said...

That's so funny that you narrarate yourself because I can specifically remember doing it myself once a couple of months ago. I'm so happy that you're enjoying the Twilight series, and READING!